This fund was established in memory of Bruno Heymann and is used to purchase supplies and equipment for the mechanical arts. Mr. Heymann taught Mechanical Drawing at LWHS from 1907 to 1945. He inspired many students to pursue careers in architecture.
Established in memory of Carrie Howland, Class of 1899, this fund was created for student college scholarships. Carrie Howland was the LWLAA secretary for 50 years and was the House Mother at the Ginn House from 1915 to 1924.
Established by Chester F. Hacke, Class of 1912, and Richard V. Hacke, Class of 1939, this endowed fund is “to be used for purchasing shop tools or otherwise used for mechanical arts instruction expenses of the school.”
Established in 2000 in memory of Ed Sargent, Class of 1969, by his family and friends, this fund supports faculty professional development in recognition of the affection and appreciation felt by Ed Sargent for his teachers at LWHS.
This fund, established in 1985 by Frank Schlessinger, Class of 1928, was created exclusively to benefit the school’s library. Mr. Schlessinger established the fund to ensure LWHS’ ability to provide books and materials to students.
Established by Fred W. Ludecke, a retired faculty member who taught physics and mathematics at LWHS from 1966 to 1972, this fund supports the teaching of mathematics, physics, and computers. The 1972 yearbook dedication reads, “He has gained the admiration and respect of everyone whom he has guided into the world of mathematics.”
Established in 1910 by Frederick Ginn, this endowed fund was originally intended to assist boys from the Protestant Orphanage of San Francisco to attend the Lick and Wilmerding schools. The fund now provides scholarships to current students.
Established in 1989 by Fern Jacobson Mitchel in memory of her husband George F. Mitchel, Class of 1919, this endowed fund “shall be used exclusively for scholarships to deserving students who most demonstrate exceptional promise.”
The Jeannette Gaehwiler 1991 Scholarship Fund was established by her family to help deserving students whose families have demonstrated financial need to attend LWHS. It is hoped that these students will also be inspired by the qualities that made Jeannette so special, especially her bright smile, her optimism, her work ethic, her determination, her deep sensitivity to others and the high standards that she set for herself.
Established in 1974, this fund is awarded annually to a graduating LWHS senior to be used for four years of college study. The recipient of the award must demonstrate an intention to pursue a degree in electricity, electronics, or electrical engineering. Read more
This fund was established in 1988 by the friends and family of Noah Wolfson. Noah was a junior at LWHS when he died of leukemia in May 1988. Knowing that his life would be short, Noah worked hard in his last years to create sculpture, literature, and photography to ensure that he would not be forgotten.
This fund was established in 2000 by Lawrence Schoenstein, Class of 1935, to provide tuition support to students in the mechanical and technical arts. Mr. Schoenstein was a member of the famous San Francisco organ-building family, who established their firm in the City in 1877.
The Patterson Ethics Initiative is made possible through the generosity of C. E. “Pat” Patterson (Class of 1959) and Berniece Patterson, parents of Glen Fuller (Class of 1991). The donations have been made to fund the teaching of ethics at LWHS. Read more
Established in memory of Ralph Britton, a physics teacher at LWHS from 1924 to 1963, this endowed fund provides support for student scholarships. Mr. Britton motivated many graduates to pursue careers in physics. He also served as the director of the school during the 1943–44 school year.
Established in 2010 by an anonymous donor to honor Music Teacher Marty Stoddard, this is an operating fund. Funds are to be spent at the discretion of Ms. Stoddard for the schools music program, with approval from the chair of the performing arts department and the head of school.
Designed in 1998 by Student Council Treasurer Nate Levine-Heaney, Class of 1999, this fund benefits current students at LWHS who receive flexible tuition. The fund helps to subsidize the cost of extracurricular school events and programs for these students.
This fund was established in memory of Sydney A. Tibbetts, a chemistry teacher at LWHS from 1904 to 1960. In his 56 years at LWHS, Tibbetts encouraged many students to pursue careers in chemistry. He was also a great track enthusiast and ran to LWHS every day from the train station.
If you’re interested in finding out more about these funds or making a special gift to the school, please email Director of Alumni & Development Nancy Kehoe or call 415.704.5590.
Lick-Wilmerding High School
755 Ocean Avenue | San Francisco, CA 94112 | 415.333.4021
A private school with public purpose, Lick-Wilmerding High School develops the head, heart, and hands of highly motivated students from all walks of life, inspiring them to become lifelong learners who contribute to the world with confidence and compassion.